The hubby and I decided to try out The Homestead Box– click to check them out. We had watched a few reviews some YouTube homesteader channels we follow did. So what The Homestead Box is- it is a monthly box that includes items to hone in on your skills. Or introduce important homestead skills. There are 3 levels of boxes. We chose the pioneer box. It does cost $100 a month- but there is no obligation and you can cancel at any time. We made the decision because it appeared to be a great idea- and who can’t learn and do more? Who doesn’t love to get a package every month? I would rather spend money on that, then spend money on makeup or bath products. I’m not knocking it- this is just my thing!
So you have an intro box- this is the box you get when you join. Then the next month you get that month’s box. Each box has a brand spotlight- which is some of the featured products, and each box also has a project card- it tells you how to use the products that are included.
This is the card that came in the box. No brand spotlight for the intro welcome box. But you can see all levels there. The first is in black- that is what you would get in the vintage box. The gray level is what you would get in the classic upgrade, and then the orange is what is in the pioneer box.
We are excited about the Opinel knife- that has had good reviews from everyone that has used it. It is mega sharp! They include seeds in every package from different companies. This time we got 4 packages of herb seeds. I am excited to plan the garden and use some of these products! Each box usually always includes a book as well. I have this book, so prepare for a review and giveaway soon! We joined in October so we did not get the October box, but I am thoroughly looking forward to November’s box. It is based out of Georgia so it get’s to us here in Alabama pretty quick.
They also offer 3 different gift packages as well. Previous months themes have included…
- Jan 17- Intro Box (Tool and etc Care)
- Feb 17- Seed Starting Box
- Mar 17- Fruitful Foraging
- Apr 17- The Kitchen Garden
- May 17- The Good, The Bad and the Buggy
- June 17- Ultimate Heart and Harvest
- July 17- Canning and Pickling
- Aug 17- Summer BBQ
- Sept 17- Emergency Preparedness
I so wish I would have know earlier- those boxes had some awesome items and some awesome themes! Things I certainly want to research and delve into. I am not sure what October’s theme is- they ship boxes on the 15th. So look for my monthly post on the reviews- and then look for posts as to how we used the items in the boxes!
Do you currently subscribe to this service? If not what do you think?
I love my chicken socks! I need a few more pairs!
We got our first double yolker!
Shrek has some weird obsessions! We didn’t let this cat out of the bag, he climbed in!
Flowers i got for my birthday! They made my day! Thanks to the hubby for surprising me!
This past weekend i needed some room in my freezer, and i still do. We are slowly working on cleaning it out to defrost it. I took out bananas, figs, and the banana peppers. I was gifted some more okra, so i had that ready too. I had already thawed a turkey to cook. So needless to say, i cooked and washed dishes all day saturday.
Tooty helped me make 2 loaves of banana bread, they did not last long!
I love my spoon rest, a gift from my mom!
Guess what this will become?
I don’t even eat pickled okra!! But you can always use it for bartering!
They are put up!
Next up banana peppers!
I love canning!
Fig jam, i am excited about this one!
Tooty baked in her easy bake, since she couldn’t help with jam, i even burned myself in spots from the popping..
And then dinner was served! I also had steamed green beans, fresh!
Dessert was good, cookies i ordered from a fundraiser, it helped clean the freezer as well!
Let’s see what i can do this weekend!
I am excited about this seed shipment and expanding and planning the garden for next year.
So because the weekends are busy, and i am getting accustomed to a different schedule, i have decided to save it for later. We had some nectarines that needed to be preserved, i bagged them and froze them to make jam later. I put up some more peppers and some okra in the freezer as well. When you don’t have time, freeze it, then when winter comes, you can use it! The freezer is filling up fast!
So we have 2 roos! One is the 5 toe mystery chicken. Turns out i have an Americana roo and a jersey giant roo. Time to split the coops! We are looking at doing some major reworking of the coops! The girls are molting. We cut the grass this weekend and what was funny was my older hens knew what was coming when they heard the mower and got excited. We bag the grass and put it in all the pens. It is quite funny to see how they react!
For now enjoy the roos! I didn’t want roos but these guys seem to be pretty amazing for now!
It has been a busy month. We are getting into the swing of things, and my work schedule changed for the better. I am feeling a little overwhelmed and depressed and need a change. So i am going to be doing some reevaluating. Never fear, the blog will stay, i will be posting a weekly update as well as special posts. We are doing some major goal planning and list making. So the goal updates for the year have stopped. Right now we are finding ways to cut costs. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods! See you soon!
This is what i want to be doing!!
So on this post here, I listed my goals for 2017. We will probably be adding more as the year goes on- but here is August’s check-in, and I am a little late with it! Did you set goals? How are you doing? See the updates in red! Check out my progress- January Check-In February Check-In March Check-In April Check-In May Check-In June Check-In July Check-In
- Personal- Quit Smoking. It will save money and my health. This year I am dead serious on quitting smoking. I am also trying to make the switch from caffeine or other drinks to strictly water. That is a slow progression as I tend to get migraines when I lose the caffeine. (No progress here- this month I am getting rid of the caffeine- I am determined. I feel bloated and here comes the switch to better eating and more water. Something switched this month and just hit right on the head to make some changes!)
- Quail-Finish the quail coop. We did get started with the coop- but it needs to be finished. We are also looking at buying some more babies. I would like to raise and sell eggs/babies.
- Chickens- Build a bigger chicken coop- and get some more chickens. I have 2 separate breeds, and have not decided whether I want roosters or not. (Complete- although expansions and some thought on this coming soon. )
- Gardening- Start an herb garden. Plant some fruit trees. Start some seeds and a small garden to manage so we can save more money. (Okra and peppers are still growing. We are working on planning next years garden and how to prepare for it over the winter. I am going to start being more diligent with the compost.)
- Small Home Organization and Projects- Organize the shed. Clean out the rest of our stuff from my in-laws. Declutter a lot of stuff. We have a few renovation projects to complete, which we already have the supplies for. (We have almost the whole shed organized. I am working on decluttering the girls rooms this week- and will be decluttering some holiday décor as we go as well.)
- Save More Money!
- Food Preservation- I got a gift card for Christmas- so I bought a dehydrator. We will start with that. I am also stocking up on canning supplies so I can start with some water bath canning. I have a flat top stove- so we have to look and see if our model will allow us to can, otherwise I will find something else to do. (I have banana peppers in the freezer, and I am about to freeze some squash as well. I also have some figs in the freezer to make jam when it starts to cool off soon.)
- Cook From Scratch- Right now I am working on getting rid of some premade things in the pantry, but we will start slow with that and making our own bread. (We are slowly getting rid of the premade stuff- this month hopefully should finish it off. I am working on meal planning, and we are hoping to clean the freezer next month. On a side note- we are done buying cleaning supplies and toiletries. Hubby and I started using all natural soap- he uses a goat milk soap- and I use soap from Posh. Once the cleaning supplies and toiletries are gone- we are all natural.)
- Rain Barrel- Get the rain barrel set up. This does involve buying some gutter guards- but we have material to build a stand for it to sit on. (This will be a winter project.)
How are you doing on your goals?
Kevin went to the vet yesterday and got fixed. He is now just a pet. He definitely is harboring bad feelings though. He let me pet him some until i had to give him his pain shot. They aggressively trimmed his hooves and he had surgery. So the poor baby is sore all over. I was worried about giving him his shot, but out vet is awesome. So today i gained a new skill, giving my goat a shot. Now he runs when i come near him, i hope to gain his confidence soon.
It has certainly been hectic around here, its starting to get busy with activities.
We are 3 or so weeks into school. Sheldon is in Jr Beta Club again, and is in honors Language Arts. Both girls are doing Girl Scouts and i got roped into helping with the Juniors. It’s about time to start checking the calendar weekly if not daily.
The ducks have almost gotten used to us, and i can’t wait to make their pond for them. They go through way more food than the chickens. They are molting right now, so no eggs yet. One day i will be surprised.
The goats are doing well, Kevin goes in to be wethered on Thursday. I’m sure MJ will be excited as he is trying to do the male thing, and she just isn’t taking it.
The chickens are so huge now, and we have started getting more eggs. We were getting 4 for awhile, and just yesterday we got 6, today we got 2. So that means almost all 6 of my girls are laying, we should have 7 one day. They all use the same nest box which kills me.
I have let most of the garden go, i have got to get plans and work on getting ready for next year.
Hows everything in your neck of the woods?