I know my grammar Nazi friends and myself included hate that title- but like my hashtag states- Sorry, Not Sorry! I am so excited y’all! I got nominated for the Blogger Recognition award! Makes me feel so loved, and to know that my blog actually has readers!
I was nominated by Our Oily Homestead. This is an awesome blog, who right now has a Fun Fact Friday column all about chickens! And we all know I love my chicks! This one will get big y’all!
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I APPRECIATE IT! YOU ARE AWESOME!
So to start it off- I started my blog less than a year ago to share my Homestead journey. We are a hot mess y’all, hence the name. It started more as a personal journal to keep track of all we had going on- and has leaned into leading my way into my urban mini-farm. I love DIY and being frugal, and we are trying to lead more into self-sufficiency and green and healthy living ways! I forget everything- being a busy mom- so this was a glld place for me to keep track- and apparently people like reading it! Who knew? I am just glad I don’t scare anyone away! #reallifetruths If y’all have been following me awhile- or if you are new- just know I don’t sugar coat- and homesteading can be glorious and beautiful- but it has trials and triumphs. That is what I post!
I am fairly new myself- so the best advice I can give is-
- I work a normal 8 to 5 like most of us do- so my first tip is to pre-write and schedule your blog posts. I take an hour or so on Sunday morning or Saturday evening and write a few posts for the week- and schedule them out. It has helped with time management and the stress! All of the biggest bloggers even do this- some people have months planned out- me I fly by the seat of my pants- so it is weekly planned!
- Have fun with it and be honest! I write like I would be having a conversation with you, like we were sitting on the porch just talking. Some may not like that, but I find it the best way to read. I want to see the good, the bad, and the ugly. Everyone has trials and tribulations but above all remain positive! We have too much negativity in this world! Be you!
My nominations (These are some people I have followed for awhile- and think if we were friends- we could sit and talk for hours- or work alongside each other great!)-
New Garden Homestead I love following this blog- some great recipes- and garden updates! Easy to read and honest!
Sprout & Sprig They are updating an old farm (How amazing is that opportunity) and have 40 acres! So jealous! But a great blog to follow!
Llewellyn Homestead Let me tell you- this year- 3 bags of trash! Crafts, gardens, BEES (I eventually want to step into this avenue), and going green! An all around great blog!
For those nominated, here are the rules for this award. Keep the love going!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select (up to 15) other bloggers for this award.
- Comment on each blog to let them know you nominated them and provide a link to the post you created.
Thank you to all my loyal readers- all my blogger friends, I feel like I know you! Keep on reading and keep on blogging!
I was surprised and honored to have been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award. Thanks so much to Tackle Mayhem Farms for nominating me! Go check her out- lots of DIY ideas! So I am tackling this…here goes. This is definitely a fun idea, and I hope everyone gets to learn a lot about me!
- Thank the person(s) who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog
- Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or on your blog
My Questions to Answer
- If you could only eat one flavor of ice cream for the rest of your life, what would it be? Really I can only pick one? I guess that would be mint chocolate chip! I have loved it ever since I was a little girl! By the way- now I want some. I’ll be back later!
- What music do you listen to when you need motivation? Music is life. We love music in my family. I listen to a little of everything and it actually depends on my mood as to what I am listening to. I love to sing- I am not good at it! Motivation usually is anything I can sing to- if we sing- we are happy and that just gets me moving and in a good mood! I listen to some country, alternative, rock, Christian rock, and pop.
- What was your favorite childhood toy? I can’t remember a favorite toy, but I do have a lovey. I got a Harley Davidson teddy bear when I was little. He is ratty looking and has been sewn 2 or 3 times. I now have the urge to dig him out of storage!
- What is your idea of the perfect date night? What is date night? People get those? I will change this slightly to favorite alone time with the hubby- and that is riding the Harley. It is just a freeing experience. When we ride, I have no worries, no thoughts, I just enjoy it. I can let go and not have a care. We don’t get to do it very often, but we always have a good time when we get to ride.
- What is your favorite part of blogging? What is your biggest obstacle to blogging? My favorite part of blogging is being able to write out my thoughts and just be me. I don’t feel I have to be perfect with my blog. I love interacting with my fellow bloggers too! I know that is 2 things- but we all know, I don’t play by the rules really well! My biggest obstacle to blogging is posting. I am not able to post every day- so what I have to do is plan and pre-schedule some posts for the week- so y’all can enjoy my posts all week!
- If you could redo any room in your home without a budget, what room would it be and why? Easy- my kitchen. The kitchen is the heart of the home, and we are always in there. I would like mine to be arranged differently, and to feel open and inviting. So if money was no object, I would expand and remodel the whole kitchen!
- Wine or beer? Vodka. It comes in so many flavors. But to be honest and play by the rules- beer. I am not much of a drinker period, but I have a strong distaste of wine, and coffee for that matter. It is an acquired taste I just don’t have!
- What one book could you read over and over? The Harry Potter series. I just love the underlaying values and meanings. It has a lot to say and I can read it over and over and find something new. I love reading because I get to disappear into another world. I love the smell of paper books! I am old school, I like paper over ebooks.
- What is your favorite holiday and why? Probably Halloween. I have so many fond memories with my mom. My birthday is in October- so it I am sure has something to do with it. I just love dressing up- what person doesn’t? Who doesn’t want to pretend to be a pirate or a princess or Darth Vader? I love seeing the creative costumes, and just love decorating for it! It seems so magical! One of my fondest memories is making trick or treat bags with my mom. We would sit at night and make at least 100 bags. It was nice to just sit and talk and spend time together.
- How did you come up with the name of your blog? Well the homestead part is easy, we are beginning our own homestead. The hot mess is a hard part to explain. I always feel as if I am a hot mess, as if my life is always in disarray. Look up urban dictionary’s definition of hot mess, it is me- every single one of them! Secretly- I enjoy being a hot mess, as much as I like routine!
- What do you hope is your lasting impact on the world? I just want to make a difference for one person. I struggle with depression and seasonal affective disorder. I want one person to have a positive impact and to make a difference for them. I also want the environment to be just as pretty as it was as I was growing up- and to be able to do just as I could growing up. I want kids to not fear playing outside all day- and to want to play outside all day. I want them to use their imaginations and to know it’s ok to have one. I want them to savor this Earth and not destroy it. We need to preserve it!
Here are the blogs that I nominate (and you should check out!):
- The Happy Life
- My Little Urban Homestead
- Sing To Your Plants
- No Rhyme Or Reason Farm
- New Garden Homestead
- Spring Lake Homestead
- Three Gallons Of Crazy
- I Love To Go A Gardening
- Snuggly Duckling Farm
- Sprout & Sprig
- Llewellyn Homestead
Here Are My Questions:
- If you could have lunch with one person who has passed, who would it be and why?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What was your favorite childhood memory?
- What made you start blogging, and how did you come up with the name of it?
- If you had one extra hour in the day, what would you do with it?
- If you could only have one meal for the rest of your life, what would you be eating?
- What is your favorite color?
- If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
- What would you change about your life and why?
- Routines or being spontaneous, which are you?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?
Thanks again to Tackle Mayhem Farms for including me, it was lots of fun to answer your questions and I had great fun in coming up with some of my own! I can’t wait to see what everyone else posts!